Ian was so excited to start college! We had the perfect plan:
Community College for 2 classes: One art, and one core. 6 units. (Note he has 8 units from DE already)
EA Young for science. We were excited about the science because they were offering a trimester system of 3 different exposures. And the kids were in his class from last year. Although he felt that the "kids are bad" (i.e. they don't follow instructions and are very disruptive) he still enjoyed it enough to not complain.Then EA Young changed their class schedule a week after school started. All of his other classes (and the commitments of the family and other children) were "set." Moving everything around to accomodate an optional "fun" middle-school science class was not priority. So I added a community college geography class that fit his schedule.
Teaching Textbooks - for Algebra 2 and Geometry (which he started over the summer). Michael to come twice a week for 1 hour to help him with these math concepts and prepare for the College Algebra Clep.
First days of school revealed that the core speech class and drawing I class were very doable. Ian had tons of extra time - even accounting for the math. So I added English Comp I for a total of 12 units. Since he was not going to EA Young, and I allowed him to drop the musical instruments because he started college (that was the deal), I feel he can handle the course-load, even at age 12 right now.


UPDATED and CURRENT PLAN
Classes 12 units at Community College:
Speech [Core]
English Comp I [Core]
Drawing I (possible career interest and degree plan requirement for animation and helpful for geography; likely credit as elective for Interdisciplinary Studies)
Geography (possibly career interest and major consideration)
Extracurricular
(all with great socialization opportunities while not overwhelming a new full-time college student).
Fencing - continues
Alpha Academy - leadership development, scholarship celebration, Black male role-models.
Cotillion - because manners matter
Jack and Jill - socialization, leadership, culture.
Organization for school and success







No comments:
Post a Comment