Ian started his new biology program at the school for the gifted - and LOVED it.
He also started his WTMA online classes - and they are high quality. But Algebra 2 (Saxon) is no joke, and he found himself taking upwards of 3 hours to complete an assignment. I've been paying the tutor to stay for 2+ hours twice a week just to get through everything.
Additionally, he was invited to participate in the chess club, and be on the Mathcounts math team (with weekly problem solving sessions). So I decided to let him drop the Programming II class at the Community College (prior to the Census date) so I could allow him to focus (and I could focus) on biology and algebra more. I realized that the Writing class, Saxon Algebra 2, Biology class were solid. And then to replace the Programming II, I signed him up for Programming with Python via Coursera with Rice University (taken asynchronously) and then threw EMF (Elements of Mathematics Foundations) in there for "fun" problem solving. I didn't expect organized MathCounts, nor chess, so those are added bonuses. And we are looking to start competing in fencing, and adding drums to his musical repertoire (now that jazz band isn't materializing, and orchestra is done).
Finally, I completed the preliminary plan for his Dual Enrollment (after being motivated by Kathe Lee's book - which I'll discuss later on) and literally spent 10+ hours researching the local schools, programs, and options so I could choose "logical" DE courses, and plot the a realisitc timeline. Top schools: UT Dallas (Interdisciplinary Studies) and close second UNT (Emergency Administration and Planning degree with a minor in Community Leadership and Non-profit Organizations).
Which means that this semester is learning algebra 2 and learning how to write in preparation for TSI in the Spring. CLEP in college algebra in the late spring as well. Take a Maymester class, and a summer class and have that CLEP applied to the community college transcript for credit. Step 1.
And we are going to go one step at a time. ;-)

No comments:
Post a Comment