This summer has been full, but relaxing. My initial plan was for Ian to do the following:
- Computer Programming: In-person computer programming at the Community College
- Elements of Math: Online problem solving course
- Upright Bass: Continue bass lessons and join a jazz band
- Fencing: Epee fencing
- Spanish: via home tutor
- Algebra II: Maybe start some algebra II or even pre-calculus
- Physics: Pick back up with Life of Fred Physics
- STEM camp
So, as par for this journey of homeschooling, I made some adjustments and modifications. The computer programming class was much more difficult and time intensive than I anticipated. So we had to hire an (expensive) tutor to come and help Ian through it. Which meant less money for Spanish, pushing it down the list of priority (so it didn't happen). I figure we could just use television and computers if we are so motivated.
Towards the beginning of summer, and AWESOME geometry teacher became available. So instead of going ahead with algebra II (or beyond) I decided to take advantage of this Montessori, experienced, geometry teacher.
Because of the time commitment of the fencing, geometry, and computer science, we didn't get to do the STEM camp (he couldn't miss class and stay on top of it), nor the physics.
So we ended up doing is the following:
- Geometry: In-person Geometry with Montessori teacher/tutor at our home
- Computer programming: at the community college (with tutor support)
- Upright bass lessons: but couldn't find a jazz band
- Fencing: epee
- Biology camp: at local school for gifted
- Physics camp: at local school for gifted
- Career development: visiting local veterinarian
We also spent lots of time at the movies, doing video games (which he enjoys), eating frozen yogurt, and I really revved up the "Mommy and me" days with the kids because as they get older, I want to have a strong foundation of being well connected. Also, we incorporated some time for career development with visits to the vet, and investigations about career options both online, and in-person.

No comments:
Post a Comment