Monday, August 7, 2017

Fall Curriculum Plan

The plan for this upcoming semester has been almost a year in development.  The more resources I discover, the less "planned" the curriculum becomes.  You can see my last update on the issue here. But finally, I have settled on what I believe will be a great course of action for Ian.

Initially I was was leaning heavily towards Art of Problem Solving (AoPS).  Haley took some competitive math preparation courses with them, and did well.  So I had Ian take Computing with Python but he didn't like it.  He said that the text scrolled too quickly, and the class was taught by a robot.  Too many people "chatting" and no lecture.  So I had to scrap my math plan (which was okay, and actually reason I signed him up for the Computer programming with AoPS - to test drive it).

I did some investigating, and while he likes Online G3 and even better, Athena, the courses only meet once a week, and I find that it then puts too much pressure on me to have to supplement, teach, and hold him accountable for an entire week.  Well Trained Mind Academy meets twice a week, so it is my hope that the constant accountability will not permit him (and us) to get behind and then spend all of the weekend making up for not doing the work throughout the week - because that happens sometimes.

Additionally, WTMA has a Saxon option.  Ian doesn't LOVE doing the math puzzles.  He's like:  "Just tell me what you want me to know, so I can learn it and demonstrate mastery."  Saxon is more inline with that personality type.  So I decided to forego math competitions for him (eventhough it was good for Sister, Ian's doing computer programming so I'm going to emphasize that and find opportunities to excel in the area).

So Ian's registered for WTMA online Algebra 2 SAXON class, meets twice a week, and uses a homeschool curriculum which allows him to be a bit more self-sufficient.

And I was looking for an online English/grammar.  I decided on the intensive, year-long, writing fundamentals class with WTMA.  Ian has had grammar for a couple of years now, and vocabulary.  We spent time focused on spelling, did spelling bees, and studied SAT words. I actually had him enrolled in IEW online grammar/writing class in addition to the WTMA (since the fall schedule was a bit light.  My plan was that I would do more biology with him - I'll touch more on this in a bit).  So I'm very vigilant about the need to ensure adequate exposure and education on Language Arts.

I took out Excellence in Writing with the IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) from the Fall schedule because - it conflicted with the biology opportunity I'll discuss below.  And also, I didn't realize that I would have to be so involved, using discs (that are expensive, and books) in addition to the online class.  THAT was actually *too much*.  Especially when combined with the WTMA writing I had him doing.  

Then I had a plan to review biology with him.  We did biology this past semester.  We did this because we had to drop the biology at the Hybrid school as they were really teaching incorrect information (creationism, and eliminated reproduction).  I had to heavily supplement, and after awhile, it was just more efficient for ME to just teach him using online resources (that I spent finding and vetting - videos, handouts, etc - which took time!).  But I didn't have to "undo" anything, and I didn't have to worry about exams in class that would contradict what I knew to be true.  Also, the teacher wasn't great, and actually quit halfway through the year (they replaced her, but I wasn't willing to keep barking up that tree).  

Also, I know from working with Haley that the biology at the community college is difficult!  Lots of studying, and not much support.  So, before Ian ventures into a class that I know is difficult, I want him to have a great foundation (and have FUN) with biology since he's thinking about being a vet.  The path to medicine demands that you are interested in these sciences.  He's 11, so my goal was a biology class without a "permanant transcript" to worry about....

....and after the biology camp this summer, Ian is going to be their "pilot homeschooler" to take a class.  Therefore, he will take biology at the Gifted School.  I talk more about that here:  http://tayloredpathtocollege.blogspot.com/2017/08/biology-and-physics-camp.html 

Finally, now that I know how difficult the programming class is, and the requirement for a tutor (and time to do the projects, which are time-intensive) I will not try to squeeze in jazz or Spanish this semester unless it's "easy."  We'll avoid adding a transportation load to the family and save some money and time as we all transition to a child in college, and another in community college!

Also, I've decided to forgo Orchestra and Awesome Math this upcoming year.  The AM conflicts with the fencing (although I see they have a brand-new online version that I'll have to investigate for future consideration).  Also, AM is expensive and way across town.  Regarding orchestra, now that Hana is in traditional school, I don't feel the need to try to replicate everything we're paying the school to provide at home into her afterschool time and weekends.  She can do activities at the school - which is her preference.  Especially at age 9.  

For Ian, and for the family, the burden is too heavy to drive the 2 hours round-trip, and sit through the 2 hour rehearsal with the orchestra, this year with Haley in college and the parents more focused on expanding their own selves (I have board exams, William has a couple new contracts, and the money associated with these schools, tutors, and college is not insignificant - so we have to maintain revenue.  That means....working.  That means, we don't have endless time to do stuff like drive and sit 4+ hours (and pay the expensive orchestra tuition).  So, we'll pass this year.  

All that said, our updated plan for Fall is as follows:

Fall Curriculum:

  • Computer programming II at Community College (online, to avoid transportation requirement) with a tutor at home.
  • Writing with Well Trained Mind Academy
  • Algebra 2 with WTMA (we'll dabble with geometry, but pick it back up next summer before pre-cal)
  • Biology with the new School for the Gifted.
  • Bass lessons (no orchestra)
  • Fencing - (in lieu of competitive swimming or water polo.  Ian wants to continue to pause these activities and focus on becoming competitive in fencing for the next tournament cycle in the Spring.
Extracurricular
  • Jack and Jill (Teen group)
  • Vet Shadowing (and maybe investigate the process of starting the path to Vet tech)
  • Spanish - possibly
  • Jazz band - possibly 
Eliminated (for now)


  • Awesome Math
  • Orchestra
  • Water Polo
  • Competitive Swimming
  • EMF
  • Life of Fred
  • guitar and bass guitar (Ian didn't like it and we'll focus on bass)





No comments:

Post a Comment