Friday, February 16, 2018

Algebra AoPS

After a month in pre-algebra it is apparent that Ian is ready to move forward - even with the AoPS curriculum - which is EXCELLENT news.  While he continues AoPS Prealgebra via WTMA, I've added AoPS algebra directly from the AoPS website.  I was apprehensive because there is no lecture or sound.  And he didn't get much out of the Python Class last year with this format.  But it really was my only option since I didn't want a rote repeat of algebra but rather an enhancement - a different spin that AoPS offers. 

He did his first class on 2/16 and all is well.  The functionality of the website is actually more extensive then I realized (with video lectures, planning guides, feedback, etc - not how Python was).  And he completely understood the first lesson. 

This is so he can be done with Algebra with a strong foundation and move on to geometry at EA Young (and I also signed him up for WTMA geometry AoPS).  I'll add number theory in the fall if I feel like he's stagnating, and maybe even go on to intermediate algebra via AoPS if he makes great progress.  Otherwise, geometry for a year is fine.  Builds a solid foundation for pre-calculus.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment